Brief History of SUEBB Kano
Compiled by Balarabe J. Danlami
Primary Education is the foundation of subsequent Level of education Secondary -Tertiary. The nine years of basic education is fundamental for achievement in subsequent programme of educational Development. Primary Education as enshrined in the Nigerian Constitution is the prerogative of Local Government Council. In a progressive approach to address the falling standard of education in Kano State, the then military administrator, Col. Muhammed Ndatsu established the Primary School Management Board (PSMB) in January 1987 which later transformed and metamorphose to the current State Universal Basic Education Board (SUBEB)
In 1987, Kano State Government appointed the pioneer Chairman of Primary School M a
na g e m e nt B o a r d , a p r o m i ne n t educationist, late Alhaji Dr. Datti Ahmad popularly referred to as The Father of Primary Education.
The giant strive achieved by the then Board in the areas of improved learning out comes especially literacy a nd numeracy, management strengthening and capacity building prompted the Federal Government to establish the National Primary Education Commission (NPEC) at the national level and at state levels, State Primary Education Board across the 36 States and FCT by Decree 36 of 1993.
In March 1994, a new Board was constituted and re-named “State Primary Education Board (SPEB)”Kano in compliance with the directives of the Federal Government. In 2005 UBE Act was approved by the National Assembly which established the current SUBEB which incorporate the 6years Primary and 3years JSS compulsory basic education in the country.
SPEB VISION AND MISSION:
VISION: – High quality Basic Education for all School Age Children for self-Reliance and Continued Education!
MISSION:- We shall Ensure Efficiency, Effectiveness and Transparency in the mobilization and utilization of Resources for the Delivery of High Quality Basic Education in Kano.
FUNCTIONS OF THE BOARD:
- To manage all Primary Schools in the State.
- To set up an effective and functional inspection unit to supervise and inspect Primary Schools in the State.
- To appoint, post to LGEA’s, confirm, appointments, promote, transfer, dismiss and discipline all teaching and non-teaching staff on grade level 07 and above in all Primary Schools while LGEA to handles officers on GL01-06.
- To draw up Service Scheme, Pension Scheme and other condition of service including provision of vehicle as well as housing loans for teaching and non-teaching staff as and when practicable.
- To assess and fund salaries and allowances of teaching and non-teaching staff subject to guidelines formulated by the State Ministry of Education.
- To disburse funds provided from both Federal and State Sources and Local Government Authority.To supervise Local Government Authorities (LGEA’s).
- To ensure annual reports are forwarded by Heads of Schools.
- To prepare annual Estimates and Establishment proposals.
- To train and retrain teaching and non-teaching staff
- To retire and reabsorb teachers.
- To undertake capital projects.
- To prepare testimonial and certificates of service for teaching and non – teaching staff and when necessary.
- To deal with leaves matters including annual vacation.
To perform such other functions as the case may be from time to time be conferred upon by the administrator /Governor or National Primary Education Commission (NPEC) and in 2004 UBE Act was enacted which established Universal Basic Education Commission at National level and directed States and Capital Territory (FCT) to set up State Universal Basic Education Board (SUBEB).Similarly in 2005, Kano State Government signed into law the Establishment of Kano SUBEB.
ORGANOGRAM OF THE BOARD:
- EXECUTIVE CHAIRMAN
- PERMANENT MEMBER I
- PERMANENT MEMBER II
- BOARD SECRETARY
The Board currently consists of ten Department, fifteen zones and three units.
- Department of Academic Services
- Department of Planning, Research and statistics.
- Department of social mobilization
- Departments of Finance and Supply
- Department of Nomadic Education
- Department of Quality Assurance.
- Department of Teacher Professional Development
- Department Physical Planning
- Department of Personal Management
- Department of Junior Secondary School
15 Zones are: –
|1.||Bichi Zone||Bichi, Bagwai, Shanono|
|3.||D/Kudu Zone||D/Kudu, Kumbotso, Warawa,Kura|
|4.||D/Tofa Zone||D/Tofa, Tofa, R/Gado|
|5.||Gaya Zone||Gaya, Ajingi, Takai, Albasu|
|6.||Gwarzo Zone||Gwarzo, Kabo, Rogo|
|7.||Kiru Zone||Kiru, Bebeji, Karaye, Madobi|
|8.||Minjibir Zone||Minjibir, Gezawa, Gabasawa|
|9.||Municipal Zone||Municipal, Gwale, Dala|
|10.||Nassarawa Zone||Nassarawa, Tarauni|
|11.||Rano Zone||Rano, Bunkure, Kibiya, G/Malam|
|12.||Tsanyawa Zone||Tsanyawa, Kunchi|
|13.||T/Wada Zone||T/Wada, Doguwa|
|14.||Ungogo Zone||Ungogo, Fagge.|
|15.||Wudil Zone||Wudil, Garko, Sumaila|
Genealogy of Mantleship
|1||LATE ALHAJI DATTI AHMAD||1987||1990|
|2||ALAHAJI ALIYU I. DANBATTA||1994||2000|
|3||ALHAJI YAKUBU ADAMU||2000||2003|
|4||LATE ALHAJI ADAMU I. DAL||2004||2005|
|5||ALHAJI ABDULLAHI DUTSE||2005||2007|
|6||LATE ALHAJI HUDU SANI||2007||2009|
|7||HAJIYA MARYAM MANSUR YOLA||2009||2011|
|8||ALHAJI YAKUBU ADAMU||August 2011||October 2011|
|9||ALHAJI WADA ZAKARI||2011||2015|
|10||ALHAJI ZAKARI I. BAGWAI||2015||2019|
|11||DR. DANLAMI HAYYO||2019||DATE|